Tuesdays from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm.
Homeschooling is a path toward academic achievement and consistency. Join our education team for insightful and inspiring learning that delivers core concepts and keeps students seeking more. Fairbanks Museum educators work with homeschool families to offer a range of learning activities that explore natural history, astronomy, weather, climate, and other STEM topics.
Please read through these options and guidelines carefully. Because each guided instruction group size is limited, your child must be registered and full payment must be received in advance. If payment is not received the week before your program, we will offer the space to someone on the waiting list.
Safety is our priority. Our class sizes are limited and all materials are kept clean for your health and protection.
Homeschool Day is dedicated to families seeking STEM enrichment outside of a school environment. Each Homeschool Tuesday includes 1-hour guided learning with an instructor plus an independent Naturalist’s project (artifact from our collections for illustration or close examination, treasure hunt, puzzle, or other self-directed activity). Because space in these programs is limited, students must be registered and paid in advance for each Homeschool program.
Our focus is on experiences that make learning fun and memorable for grades K–8. Homeschool families can come individually or in a group to join one of our regularly scheduled programs. We encourage parents to come with their children for the museum classes, and every child must be accompanied by an adult on field excursions. If health concerns require more virtual learning, we’ve got that covered through a variety of age-appropriate live stream and recorded programs.
- 1st Tuesday: grades K -2
- 2nd Tuesday: grades 3 – 5
- 3rd Tuesday: grades 6 – 8
- 4th Tuesday: Field Excursion for all levels
Homeschool Tuesdays (10:00 AM to 1:00 PM)
- Guided instruction from 10:00 – 11:00 AM
- Access to all of the galleries in the Fairbanks Museum
- Naturalist’s Corner (all levels, every Tuesday, no registration required): Craft or activity related to the program topic of the day, led by one of the museum’s science educators.
- Access to hand-washing stations and bathrooms
- Access to picnic tables
- Free admission for adult chaperones
Field Excursions (10:00 am to 12:00 pm)
- Explore a pond, field, or forest with a Fairbanks Museum naturalist and educator
- 2 hours of instruction
- Directions to the location and free public parking
Costs for all guided instruction (at the Museum or in the field)
- $8/student sibling discount
- $100 Homeschool Membership (12 Homeschool passes + Family Membership = best deal) You’ll receive a punchcard for 12 classes, access to the Museum for your entire family on any Homeschool Day, and all of the benefits of Fairbanks Museum Family Membership.
Registration is required. Please register online and pay for each program in advance.
Your total cost will reflect the number of students and the number of programs you select — enter this amount in the custom field if you choose to pay for each program.
If the program you’d like to take is full, please contact Karina Weiss to be placed on a waiting list.
Homeschool Membership offers the most cost-effective way to take advantage of our programs. Here are some examples of costs for multiple children and multiple classes
|1 class||2 classes||3 classes|
|1 student ($10/class)||$10||$20||$30|
|2 students ($8/class)||$16||$32||$48|
|3 students ($8/class)||$24||$48||$72|